Is your computer behaving and running like a snail in terms of performance and speed, then not to worry as we will tell you on how you can easily optimize your computer for peak performance for free. All you need to do is to just simply follow some simple and easy steps with which you can easily optimize the performance of the computer. So, be it Windows XP, Windows Vista or even Windows 7 we will tell you steps to fasten your computer. Please note that all the tasks are for free which help you in improving the performance and the overall speed of the computer.
Clean up the disk errors:
It may sound some big but it isn’t but a very simple one. Whenever a program or an application crashes down or may be a power outage then automatically some errors are being generated and are sometimes effect very badly for a hard disk. Fortunately, the Windows operating system includes several PC tools, including a Check Disk program, to identify and clean any errors on your computer and to help keep it running smoothly.
For Windows 7 users:
If you are on Windows 7 then, click on the Start button, click on the computer after that right click on the hard disk drive which you want to check and then select the option of Check Now.
Next up click on the Tools tab and then click Check now under Error-checking:
- Use Automatically fix file system errors to repair automatically the errors that are detected by the scan. Otherwise, the checking will perform only the checking and display the problems only without fixing them.
- A thorough disk checking can be performed by selecting Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This engages system to detect and repair any physical errors of hard disk. When performing the checking keep your patience as it takes much longer to complete.
- Select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, if you want to check for both file errors and physical errors.
- Click on the Start to start the fixing of errors.
Note: The time can vary depending on the disk size.
For Windows XP users:
- Click on My Computer icon.
- In My Computer window, right-click on the drive for which you want to perform the disk check and select Properties.
- Next up in the Properties dialog box, flip Tools tab. Under the Error-Checking section, click on the Check now option button. The Check Disk dialog box appears.
As you can see in the Check Disk dialog box above, select all the check boxes that are both and then click on Start to start the process.
You will see a message box that says you can schedule the disk check to start the next time you restart your computer. Click Yes.
At the next restart of your computer, disk checking starts before you enter in your login screen. Once the checking is done, you will be taken automatically to your login screen.
The time varies depending on the disk size, the higher amount of disk size takes the higher amount of time to complete the task.
Remove temporary files:
The temporary files are piled automatically in the system and creates unwanted clutters. Removing such unwanted junks from your system regularly can make the system better performing. To remove the temporary files go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Disk Cleanup will automatically find and suggest you to delete the unwanted files.
The above methods are very important methods so as to tune your computer for performance and speed.
Related: Speed up Computer with a Better Defragmenter by Microsoft.