The Gmail application presents its default look in Android mobile, which is good to read, compose new mails for business or office use via mobile and nothing else. It has few exciting features like starring your precious mail, labelling them, keeping some important in folders and you can also set Priority Index. But you know that every device has its own area of limitations.
In this case, one such limitation is with the attachment. It does not download attachment files. Although, it shows an attachment inside the email and on clicking the mail you can also read it but can’t download. There are some attachments such as *.doc, *.xls, *.pdf, *.mp3 etc which are sometimes important but you can’t download them with your mobile browser. There are many users in Gmail just like you and they love to be in Gmail account. So, in this article I’m coming with an idea of downloading and saving Gmail attachment to Android or other mobile phone’s SD Card so that you don’t have to login again for reading the same file in future. (Also try to install applications on SD Card.)
It is for sure that someday Gmail and Android will team up together to short out this problem. So in nearby future , Android default Gmail application will be definitely launched with attachment download facility as same as your desktop. For now, you can do it by yourself, simply follow my lead. As you all know that Google Mail can also be accessed through your mobile browser by pointing the Google mail to gmail.com and you have taken the first successful step. Here is the complete process you must follow.
Steps involving into downloading attachments to Android SD card:
- First of all, open browser in your Android Phone.
- Type http://gmail.com in URL field.
- Use your Google Account to login and click login button.
- Now, go for the email containing some attachment.
- Here, you will see two option – View or Save. The View option will launch the attached file in the device itself to read. But on clicking “Save”, the file will be saving directly to the SD Card.
Alternate option to download Gmail Attachment to Android SD Card:
You can also download your attachment to your Android SD Card by using quite simple app –“Save My Attach” from Android Market. It works for both Gmail and Email app and no need for configuration. Let’s tell about the process of installation and downloading the attachment.
- First of all, you need to download Save My Attach app from Android Market.
- Install it on your Android.
- Once the installation process is completed, open your Gmail account as you do in your computer.
- Navigate yourself to the mail which is having attachment in it.
- On the mail, tap to the Preview button as shown in the image below.
- This results in popping up a new window, where you must select ‘Save My Attach’ from the list.
- This will then give you the path where it is downloading the file and you can also change the path as well as file name.
- Lastly, click on ‘Save’ button to complete the process. If you like to check/ read the file then go to the path location manually.
So, go ahead with your mobile and try anyone of them. I hope you will definitely like it.