You might have heard of the recent release of Google Chrome OS ; the open source operating system with some really attractive virtues like speed, simplicity, security and low space consumption. Hexxeh, a web developer and programmer from UK, brought up a new open source variant of Chrome OS named as Chromium OS Vanilla with certain modifications and amendments.
While the original Google Chromium OS requires special hardware configuration, the new Chromium OS Vanilla can be run with your current hardware configuration. So, if you want to give this new OS a try, just prepare your USB stick and run Google Chrome OS from USB drive to check it out with your limited resources.
What is the difference between Google Chromium OS and Chromium OS Vanilla?
1. Chromium OS Vanilla is lightweight and fast operating system as compared to its original version.
2. This slimmer version supports more hardware than its predecessor. It needs a Google account and password to login that means it requires an internet connection to log into the system. Though the earlier versions of Chromium OS failed to adjust with various network adapters it has been fixed into this newer one.
Tip: Install Google Chrome OS on VirtualBox
All you need to do is to download the USB image for Google Chrome OS and prepare your USB stick for booting the Chromium operating system. It lands to your computer system as a RAR file of 329 MB which turns into 2.36 GB after extraction. Therefore you can easily run the OS from Google in your machine supporting a 4 GB USB drive. Here is how to run Google Chrome OS from USB drive.
Prepare Your system to Run Google Chrome OS from USB Drive
1. Firstly, download the USB image for the latest version of Chrome OS from Hexxeh’s Chromium OS Vanilla website.
2. Extract the downloaded file using WinRar. After extracting you will get an IMG file. IMG files are so likely for USB as ISO files for CD. This IMG file of 2.36 GB is to be loaded on a 4 GB USB drive.
3. For Windows, you can make a USB drive bootable using Win32 Disk Imager. After downloading, save it in the same location where you’ve extracted the Chrome OS RAR file.
4. Launch Win32DiskImager.exe. You may get an error message but don’t panic. The message is displaying because it is searching for a floppy drive which is not there. Locate the image file in the Win32 Disk Imager window.
5. Now, choose the drive letter of your USB drive from the drop down menu at the right side. Click on ‘Write’ button.
You’re done. Just plug the USB drive into your machine and reboot it. Before rebooting, don’t forget to change the boot order. You can change the boot order from the BIOS settings. Once your machine is rebooted, the Chromium OS will boot from the USB drive automatically.
It reboots almost in no time. As soon as you start it, you will be asked to login with your Gmail account.
Sign-in and start enjoying the brilliance of slimmer version of Google Chromium OS. Keep logged in to enjoy the incredibility completely.
As Google is yet to officially release Google Chrome OS, it is in the market as a source code or open source OS and under development. Keep in touch with TechTipsApp.Com to stay updated about any news related to Chromium OS.