Pidgin does not need any introduction. It is the best Universal Instant Messaging Client. The usability of Pidgin in all popular operating systems like Windows, Linux, MAC has launched its popularity to a great extent. It allows to add Google Talk, Yahoo, AIM, MSN, Facebook and more accounts to chat with your buddies.
Also read about Portable Instant Messaging Protocol, Pidgin Portable.
In Google Talk client, you can add both the Gmail account as well as the Google apps account. When adding the Google Apps account, just put the user name with the domain name at the User Name box to get connected. Unlike Google Talk, Google Apps account can’t be added to Pidgin in that very similar way. To add Google Apps account, you must configure the account settings in advance. Here is the complete guide to add a Google Apps account to Pidgin.
How to Add the Google Apps account to Pidgin
To add the account, go to Accounts > Manage Accounts from the Buddy list.
Then click on the Add button and follow the instruction below.
- Under the Basic tab, select Google Talk as the protocol from the drop-down list.
- At the Username portion put the user name of your Google Apps account i.e the first half of the email address. For instance, if your email account is email@example.com, put abc as the Username.
- In the box Domain, put the second half of your email address. In this case, it should be techtipsapp.com.
- Write gmail.com as the Resource.
- Enter your password.
- Now flip to the Advanced tab and fill in the fields as follows:
Connect port: 5222 File transfer proxies: proxy.jabber.org
After the completion, click on the Add button. You are done!