We usually prefer WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr for our professional projects. But if you are looking for something to write your daily musings, then Calepin.co couldn’t be better than this. Calepin.co allows you to host a blog on Dropbox and offers you the simplest user interface to host the blog and that too without dashboard, as it’s all through your Dropbox and bit of Calepin. So, how to start-up a personal blog in no time.
Tip: Host blog images in a subdomain.
Requirements to host a blog on Dropbox
- Account on Calepin.co and on Dropbox.
- Sign for Disqus too.
How To Setup Personal Blog Using Dropbox And Calepin
- First, visit Calepin.co, choose a username, that will be your blog name also.
- Now connect your Dropbox account with Calepin, so that you can host all your blog posts there. With that, Step 1 is over.
- Configure your site, choose the site/blog name, if you are Disqus user, then enter your Disqus details, so that your readers can interact with a simple blog hosted on Calepin. Further, a Twitter handle to connect with people on Twitter.
- CNAME, if you wish to have a specific domain instead of username.calepin.co. Just for that professional front, rest leave it blank. Save and you are done.
- Step 3, every time you hit the publish button, this will picks up edits, removals and new posts and updates your Calepin URL to reflect your newest work. But how will you update your blog? Here’s how to get started writing blog posts on your newly setup blog.
How To Write Blog Post On Calepin and Dropbox Hosted Blog
- Log into your Calepin account using the details what we created above.
- Now, go to Dropbox, to be exact, move over to C:UsershomeDropboxAppsCalepin.
- Two files, there you’ll find. Make sure all your blog posts are plain text, so use either the notepad, write what you want and save it there with .md or .rst file extension. So once you are done writing, uploading file at the Dropbox address(C:UsershomeDropboxAppsCalepin), then log in to your Calepin account and click on publish button to update the blog.
- Ah, one more point you’ve to remember while writing, all blog posts must carry a date and a title. This is metadata needed by the generator to order and label your posts meaningfully. Interested to know more? Here’s a full-blown guide to format your blog post in a way you want.
- You can customize the blog as per your needs, you can add photos too.
- Here’s a screenshot, how it looks like. You can visit mine(amitsharma.calepin.co) for a full-blown experience.
Benefits of hosting a blog on Dropbox
1. Dropbox is a free service and stays free untill you exceed the 2 GB space.
2. You do not need to purchase any hosting plan for your non-profitable blog.
3. Dropbox provides high-quality resource to serve quality performance for their user. So hosting your blog on Dropbox will ensure its best performance.
4. You can sync your Dropbox blog pages and anything else with your local computer which lets you to be in safe side.
Host your blog on Dropbox, enjoy your daily writings, share it with the world without paying any penny.