Google recently announced that its “vintage” social networking site, Orkut, will finally shut down on 30th September 2014. Now, if you are one of those who still use Orkut (really?), the news will come as a shock to you. In this article, I will take you through the steps to recover your Orkut data.
Orkut debuted close to around a decade back and became instantly popular in countries like India and Brazil. The social media platform was the brainchild of a Turkish software engineer, Orkut Büyükkökten. It never could reach the same popularity as Twitter or Facebook. Finally, Facebook overtook Orkut somewhere around 2011.
How to Recover Orkut Data?
The Orkut data will contain a record of all your account activities since the day you began using it. Assuming your account is still active, here are the steps to take:
- Google Takeout: The Google Data Liberation Front initiated the Google Takeout or Google Takeaway project, allowing users to export their data in ZIP format. Go to Google Takeout and login with the email id associated with your Orkut account.
- Choose Service: After logging in, the page will display a list of services they are supporting and you are using. Click on Create an Archive.
- Configure Data: In the next page, it will preselect all services for data import. You need to deselect all and choose only Orkut from the list of services. Click on Create Archive.
- Download Data: The time taken to export data depends on the nature of service and your usage. You can download the ZIP archive from the same page and store it on your computer.
Or, you can check Gmail and find the email from Takeaway taking you to the download link. All archives have a 7-day period for download. Afterward, I think, you have to create the archive again. You recommend not to download important files like this on a public computer.
That’s it. The above four steps will recover Orkut data perfectly.
How to Delete Orkut Account?
In case you do not wish to recover Orkut data but delete the account completely, follow these steps. But, do note that the account deletion is permanent, you cannot reverse the process anyway.
- Login to your Orkut account.
- Click on Settings > General > Delete My Orkut Account.
- Follow the steps in the ensuing pages. You will be redirected to the ‘Delete Orkut’ page on your Google account.
- Simply enter the password and click on ‘Remove Orkut’.
The Orkut profile will be removed permanently. Here, you don’t have access to the profile data. If you want to delete the Orkut account but want a copy of all the account activities, follow the steps to recover Orkut data and then the steps to delete the account permanently.
If you had installed the Orkut app, uninstall it as well since Google will remove those from the App Store and Google Play.