If you are a dead Facebook fan and spend a significant amount of your time in Facebook, some Facebook shortcut keys may save your time and speed up your steps in Facebook.
Related: Microsoft Office Shortcuts.
Although there are some scripts or browser dependent plug-ins for keyboard shortcuts, here are the list of the inbuilt Facebook shortcuts, totally browser independent.
Using the Facebook Shortcuts from Keyboard in your Browser
The shortcuts work generally by pressing the Alt + key. But if you are in Firefox, only pressing the Alt key and then the shortcut key will not work exactly as the Alt key heads up Firefox’s own controls. To use the Facebook shortcut in Firefox, add another key “Shift” before that combination i.e the shortcuts tuns into Shift + Alt + Key for Firefox. For the other browser like Chrome, Opera, Safari, just the “Alt + key” works fine. However, this shortcuts may not work properly in Internet Explorer.
1. Composing a new message: Alt + M
You can compose mail from any where in your Facebook profile. Be it you are reading wall posts or any thing else, you can compose messages by pressing the Alt + M (For Firefox Shift + Alt + M).
2. Facebook Search: Alt + ?
Facebook search is pretty useful when you want to search for any friend without opening the friend page. Just press the Alt + ? key to highlight the Facebook search box, the cursor will blink at the search box, edit your search term and hit enter. For the Firefox user the shortcut key is Shift + Alt + ? .
3. Navigation in Facebook
The Alt + Key shortcut is too much used for tabbed browsing in all browsers. The Facebook also is not an exception. You can navigate to different parts of your Facebook page by pressing the following shortcut keys.
Note: If you are using Firefox as your browser then add Shift before each shortcuts.
- Alt + 1: Moves you to Facebook news feed (landing page).
- Alt + 2: Shortcut to open Facebook profile.
- Alt + 3: Directs you to Friend requests page for a quick approval or disapproval of any friend request.
- Alt + 4: Opens the messages panel in Facebook.
- Alt + 5: Shortcut to open the Facebook notifications panel (third to the right of the left top corner).
- Alt + 6: The root of your Facebook’s “Account” page where you can manage permissions and tweak the settings.
- Alt + 7: The “Privacy” page shortcut.
- Alt + 8: It open the Facebook’s “Facebook page”.
- Alt + 9: Opens the “terms and condition” page.
- Alt + 0: If you need some help guide, press this key to quickly open the “Help” Page.
Though, I do not spend much time in Facebook, the shortcuts are really helpful for me. But honestly, it is tough to manage too many shortcut list in my memory as some other shortcut list like typing Copyright, Euro, Pound Symbols from Keyboard in the blog post or anywhere else are to be maintained and memorized.