If you are in blogging, you might certainly be aware of promotion through social networking. Most popular social networking websites used in blog promotion are Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus.
When I started with blogging, Google Plus was not launched and the websites I used to use were only Facebook and Twitter but the inception Google Plus in 2011 has actually created a slight confusion for blogger and they are not sure whether to use Facebook or Google Plus for blog post promotion.
The comparisons though are inevitable because both of the social networks have many features in common.
I have tried to compile some good and useful features of both Facebook and Google Plus here and hope that it may help you to decide.
1. Number of users
If you compare these websites in terms of number of users, then Facebook dominated Google Plus for sure. Stats as of June 2012 show that there are more than 250 million users on Facebook. But at the same time stats say that women are using FB more as compared to men.
On the other hand Google Plus has fewer users but most of them are young and male. These stats help when you are looking for a specific segment of audiences for your blog. Usually people like newbie bloggers overlook the importance of specific audience segment and choose the normal social networking promotion.
Our Facebook friends are usually the people from our family or people we know. I don’t know about all, but I sometimes feel like not sharing a post from my relatives or friends but that’s all I have on Facebook. Google Plus is good in this aspect. I don’t think you will add your family in Google Plus. Will you?
2. Social Interaction
- Both the social networks have almost same interaction modes. Facebook provides two options of connecting, one of adding as friend and other is subscribing. When we add a user as a friend, we can interact mutually but subscribing is one-sided. In Google Plus you can add people with different options of friends, family, acquaintances etc.
- You can filter your circle and share the information with whom you want. Facebook has the option of ‘like’ and ‘Share’ whereas Google Plus has the option of ‘+1’.
- In Facebook you can send private message and in Google Plus you can send emails to people in your circle.
3. Other Features
- Both the social networking websites Facebook and Google + can be browsed with your Smartphone. You can access all the major features of Facebook and Google Plus from your Smartphone like chat, photos, adding and sharing status updates etc.
- One feature which makes Google Plus dominate on Facebook is that it has the feature of face -to-face video chat. Yes I am talking about the Google Hangouts. If you have the front facing cameras in your mobile device, you can access the Google Hangouts from your mobile device.
- If you look for the apps, no doubt Facebook is much better than Google Plus. It has numerous interesting as well as useful apps as compared to Google Plus. Powerful applications and hundreds of games give an extra point to Facebook in this aspect. Google Plus also have some games like Angry Birds and CityVille but it still have to include many more to defeat Facebook.
At last I can only say that it is totally up to you which social networks you want to give your time and which of them you value the most.
What I would suggest is to look at both the websites closely and thoroughly and then decide which will be the best for your blog.
Tips for small business: Different Ways to Use Facebook for a Small Business.