You might be familiar with Windows Media Center in Windows 7 or Vista for watching movies. Did you ever imagine that you will hear your favorite music whenever a new mail arrives in your Inbox or about reading your Emails? – Vista Media Center mail can make it possible.
Tip: Control Twitter and Facebook From Your Email Account.
Setup Windows Media Center to read emails within it
The earliest job is to download Vista Media Center Mail and install it in your Windows 7 / Vista PC. After installing the program follow the step by step instructions to configure it.
Configuring Windows Media Center Mail
1. Run the program from the start menu ( Start menu > All Programs > OABsoftware > Vista Media Center Mail > Vista Media Center Mail Configuration ).
2. Once you click that item from the start menu, the Vista Media Center configuration application window appears.
This is for configuring the general settings:
- Choose the interval that media center would check for new mails.
- Add a music file if you want to get sound notification whenever a new mail arrives to your Inbox. Note: The music file should be .wav file format.
- Keep active or inactive the email notification by selecting or deselecting the checkbox.
- Choose the scope of the application: For the current user only or for all users.
After choosing suitable configuration, click on the Apply button to take the changes in action.
3. Now the time is configuring the other parts like adding a user, adding email account and finally, activating the Media Center Mail.
The next job is to add a user to access the Media center Mail. In the configuration window you can add a new user from the User > Add item in menu bar or by clicking the icon directly from the toolbar. Then put the name of the user and browse the image to represent the user with a picture.
Click Apply to keep the changes effective.
Adding a email account
Adding a email account is not as easy as adding a user. Click User > Add account for receiving email. The email account configuration window appears.
Here you have to provide the appropriate information about your account to receive email. The metrics that you’ll have to provide:
- Name/Address of the mail server for the incoming mail. For instance, if you want to add a Gmail account, put pop.gmail.com at that field. The Hotmail, Yahoo or other email service users should put their corresponding server name or address.
- Input the Port number. For Gmail, it is 995.
- Select whether your incoming mail server requires any encrypted connection (SSL).
- Give the username of of your account in the format email@example.com. As for example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Type the password of your account.
When you are done with the above things, click Apply.
At last, save the configuration by pressing the Save icon from the toolbar or clicking File > Save from the menu bar.
Activation of Media Center Mail
You are not able to read your emails from Media Center until you activate Media Center Mail. To activate your email account for Windows Media Center, follow the instructions below.
- Go to Media Center Mail and click on the Activate button from the left sidebar.
- In the Activate Media Center Mail page, put your name and email address that you want to add.
- Click on Register button to get the activation code in your email address. It will send the activation code in your email address.
Once you get the mail with the activation code in your email Inbox, start Windows Media Center from the start menu and click Accessories > Email icon there.
A message appears in the screen of your media center asking you to provide the activation code along with the email ID. Input the emails address and type the activation code that you’ve grabbed from your email Inbox and click the Activate button.
You are done!!
Whenever you want to read your mails inside from Windows Media Center, just start it and go to Accessories > Email. It will also play your selected music when a new mail arrives.
So enjoy reading mails from Windows Media Center in parallel with watching musics or videos.
Related: How to Detect Fake or Invalid Email ID.