Which search engine is set as default? Are you happy with it or want to change it?
If you want to change it and don’t know how to do it, you are landed at the right page buddy. In this editorial I will tell you about Changing Your Default Browser’s Search Engine.
It is quite simple. You just need to follow a few steps and you can change the default search engine of your browser.
Every browser has its own default search engine and whenever you search for anything that search engine comes up with the available results. But you can change this configuration with just a few clicks of your mouse.
However there are numerous browsers running but I can’t cover all of them here so writing about the steps to change the default search engine settings in three most popular browsers – Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
- Go to the wrench icon on the top right corner of your browser and click it.
- Go to ‘Settings’ from the drop down menu. You will see the five sections you can change the settings of.
- Go to ‘Search’ and then click on ‘Manage Search Engines’.
- When you will click on ‘Manage Search Engines’ a new window will pop up where you can see many search engines lined up.
- First column will show the default search engines of your browser. Select the search you want to be your default search engine.
- Now close the window as you are done with your settings.
Internet Explorer 9
- Like the wrench in Google Chrome, you have a Sprocket icon in Internet Explorer 9 at the top right corner of the browser.
- Clicking on this icon will open a new window of settings for your browser.
- You can see a tab ‘Manage Add-ons’ here. Select it and then go to ‘Search Providers’ in the list.
- You can then see all the available search engines in a column on your right window.
- The search engine which is currently set as your default search engine will have a button ‘Default’ with it
- Select your desired search engine from the list and set is as default from here. Just right-click on that particular search engine and click on ‘Set as Default’.
- To keep it as your default search engines it is important to protect these settings from other programs which change the default settings. For this, scroll down the page and click on box showing ‘Prevent programs from suggesting changes to my default search provider’.
- Close the window.
Alternative way for IE: Set Google as Default Search Engine at Internet Explorer Search Bar.
As you have a wrench in Google Chrome, Sprocket in IE, you have an inverted triangle icon in Firefox 10. This is where you can change your default browser settings. Unlike IE and Chrome, this icon is on the top left of your browser page.
- Go to settings from the inverted triangle icon.
- You will find a drop-down menu there; go to ‘Manage Search Engines’.
- You can see many search engines there, take your cursor to the search engine you want to select as your default search engine.
- To select your favorite one, just keep clicking on the ‘Move Up’ button till your favorite search engine comes on the top of the list.
- When selected, click on ‘OK’.
Wasn’t that simple? Just a few clicks of your mouse and you are done with your default search engine settings.
Tip: Search Blog as Default Google Chrome Search Engine.