From the day when Microsoft stopped future updates for Windows XP, people are now moving towards the Windows 8. The number of Windows 8 users is growing high as it is fast, fluid and beautiful. But, if you use your PC a lot, you will see a gradual decrease in the performance which can be annoying at some stage. In this story, I have listed some essential workarounds by which you can boost Windows 8 performance by 200%.
Reduce the Amount of Start-up Apps
Start-up apps are one of the main reasons due to which the computer gets slower performance. The name, start-up apps, suggests itself that they are used for the applications which come into the action at the moment when your PC starts and thus causing it to get slower. You can easily disable the useless start-up apps to increase the performance of your Windows 8 PC. All you need to do is to :-
- Right-click on anywhere on the task bar and select the ‘Task manager’ (enable task manager if it is disabled).
- When the task manager opens up, click ‘More details’ option if you are not able to see the expanded window which consists list of all start-up programs.
- Once you see the expanded window, head to the ‘Startup’ tab.
- Now, find out which apps are consuming most of the physical memory and you can simply disable them by clicking on the disable button.
Disable Animation to Boost Windows 8 Performance
Animation is one of the interesting feature in Windows 8. These animation might be sweet for your your eyes. The fancy users would like those animation but if you are bit conscious about the performance, you would surely hate them and want to disable them!
- Place your mouse pointer to the right-top corner of the desktop so that the Windows 8 Charms bar appears. Now, use the search icon and search for “Animation”. Click on “Turn Windows animations on or off” from the results.
- Use the buttons to turn off the animations.
By using this method, you can boost Windows 8 performance a lot as the animations don’t take place and they just snap into action.
Stop Background Search Indexing
The Windows 8 search utility is quite smart. It keeps indexing all the files and folders in the background. This helps to search items in your PC as the results are provided from the index, it won’t need any manual search through out the hard disk. This background service is named as WSearch. Although it significantly decrease the time taken to complete the searches, it consumes a good amount of your physical memory which results a slow response time in the Windows 8 PC.
Turning Background search indexing off and a reboot would make your PC more faster. Here is how to do it.
- Press the [Win key + R] to open the ‘Run’ command box at your Windows 8 desktop.
- Type ‘services.msc’ and hit the [Enter] key.
- This will list up all the services running in your system. Scroll down into the ‘Services’ window and find out ‘Windows Search’. Just double-click on it.
- A pop up window appears with variety of Windows Search Properties. Under the ‘General’ tab, choose ‘Disable’ from the ‘Startup type:’ drop-down list.
- Also stop the running search indexing process by clicking on the ‘Stop’ button. Once done, click the ‘Apply’ button and exit.
- You can now see a sudden increase in the speed of your PC. A cool reboot of your PC would make it more faster.
The above techniques were the ways which I used to boost up my Windows 8 PC speed and I am sure that they will help you too!
Note: If your computer got slower significantly and you can’t see much improvement after applying the above techniques, you would try to Reset or Refresh your Windows 8 PC.
Have anything to add to this story? Do share with us at the comment section.