Right-clicking is one of the obvious activity to navigate into your Windows 7 widely. By default there are some useful shortcuts are included in the right-click context menu. But you can add more options there to organize things at your finger tip by playing with your registry. Copying the content of a file from the right-click context menu is a useful and handy way to reduce your effort. Here we have discussed about the registry tweak to add an item “Copy the Content” In Windows 7 right-click context menu.
What you are going to do is to edit your registry. So it is wise to keep a registry backup always before editing, so that you can easily restore the stable version if any disaster happens.
How to Add an item “Copy the Content” in right-click context menu
What do you do when copying the content of a file? No doubt, most of the users double click on the file to open with the text editor, select all the content then copy the selected area by selecting right-click > Copy or pressing the CTRL + C key. But here is an shortcut way that allows you to copy the whole content of the file from the right click context menu. Just you’ll have to apply the following registry tweak. It will add an item “Copy the content” to the right-click context menu. Follow the following steps.
- Open registry editor by typing “regedit” at the “Run” dialogue box (Press Win key + R).
- Navigate to
- You can see there are some actions under “Shell” by expanding the key.
- Right click on Shell and select New > Key. Give the name of the key as “copythecontent”.
- Select the newly created key > Double click on “Default” at the right pane > Put any thing meaningful like “Copy the Content” (that will be displayed at the context menu).
- Similarly create another key under “copythecontent” and name it as “command”.
- Select the “command” key. Double click on “Default” at the right pane.
- Put the following command in the Value data field.
cmd /c clip < "%1"
You are done. Now right click on any text file then select “Copy the Content” to copy the content of the text file and you can paste the content in any application.
Let me know if you want to share more about it. Drop your valuable comment at the comment section.