I bought a 8 GB pen drive. But after using for a month suddenly that stopped to work. Whenever I wanted to delete or copy something in my pen drive, an error message used to appeared, saying that “The disk is write protected” in both Windows XP and Windows 7. Even when I tried to format my usb pen drive I was rejected. After trying some methods I found out the solution of such problem. If you guys are facing same problem then try the following method to fix your usb drive problem.
Steps to solution of the problem “The disk is write protected”
This problem can be happened due to various reasons. So try the following to remove the write protection.
- The problem can be occurred due to virus infection. Scan your usb drive with some latest updated anti virus which can remove the viruses that participate in write protecting your pen drive. You can also remove the viruses from your pen drive by command prompt.
- If still the usb drive is write protected then you can execute a “low-level format” on the drive. Download the software to perform the “low-level format” of your USB drive. This free handy tool can take some few steps to remove the error from your pen drive. The software works is both Windows 7 and XP.
Insert your pen drive in the usb port and run the software. You can find the the removable disk drive name with it’s level in the application window. Select your removable device and continue to format it.
After completing the format you may have to create a partition in that disk drive. This is actually to allocate the volume in your usb pen drive. Don’t worry it is simple as well.
How to partition the Usb drive
- Go to Start > Run then type “diskmgt.msc” without the quotes and hit “Enter”. This will open the Disk management window.
- Select your removable disk drive and choose to format by right-clicking on it.
- You can put a Volume level and select the file system. Keep the allocation unit as default. Don’t check the boxes bellow the window. Then click on “OK”.
Now your pen drive should behave normal. If still your usb drive/pen drive does not response better then your pen drive probably has been corrupted. The only solution is then to through out your pen drive and buy a new one..